Lords of Epic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The discussion forum for the Lords of Epic

HomeRegisterLatest imagesDiscussion of Overpowered Characters EmptyLog inMediaDownloads

Discussion of Overpowered Characters

Go down 
+2
debtmaster
Ethanthecrazy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ethanthecrazy
The Lord of Epic
Ethanthecrazy

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue4/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (4/10)

Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty
PostSubject: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Ill open with Tanner's . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsofepic.webs.com
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue2/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Tanner's premise and playing style are both OP. His character controls ambiguous nanobots that can basically do anything, and his character seems to utilize a McGuyveresque inventory, such as old tires, with the ability to use the inventory however he wishes as a result of said nanobots.

Additionally, when RPing, he sort of wtfpwns whatever it is he's fighting while giving it next to no chance.

Next: John's
Back to top Go down
The_entropic_engineer
Dwelf
The_entropic_engineer

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue2/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 am

This is suggestions for most of the current characters. It includes Tanner's, mine, Nick's, Robert's, and Ethan's. Not all of the things in question are problamatic as of yet, but they need to be adressed before they become so.

I have to agree, tanner should specify what all is in his bag, so he can't pull out things he doesn't really have but would find useful at the current moment. Also, we need to specify a limit to the nano-bots. The limits could include the amount of nanobots, abilities, how often they can be used, their duration, effects and weaknesses. Also, based on level we should limit the types of nanobots (insulated, assualt, augumentory, healing, tracking, etc).

My chararacter:
Limit the amount of illusions I can create. Specify the duration of the illusions, as well as the stregnth. What can I make illusions of, and discuss the amount of people the illusions can affect.

Nick:
Discuss how many shots he needs to suffer in order for it to matter (he got shot multiple times in the shoulder and was still able to throw a car).

Robert: How much slower does time become, how flexible is his character(building falling on him, how much dmg does it do). Also, how much could his sensing of peoples intentions affect him, could it be a weakness as well as a strength?

Ethan: What is the limit to the damage he can take before he suffers permanent damage. Also, how will damage affect his movements. He got stabbed with a pole, shot with a rocket, and body slammed from over "an incredible height". What is the limit to his resistance to dying, which so far has been fine(the resistance to dying ALONE). The main point is when does he still live, but not be able to do as much stuff, like walk. He described to me the jump to be hundreds of feet in the air, that would result in broken bones, maybe a broken spine, and alot of blood-splatter. Also, he got shot with a rocket and lost no limbs, pieces of flesh, etc.

That is all for now, we will see how the other characters develop. This is what I see as the main things we currently need to focus on.

Before you accuse me of overcomplicating this, I would like to add(ethan) that you oppened this can of worms. I figured as long as we were going to adress this problem, we need to fix it all at once. I plan on placing all of the checks and balances(woot constitutionary words) on the characters now, while we have the database for characters open. I know I am being a pain, but it will help us to smooth things out in the long run, and make the RP enjoyable without people whinning about another character being OP.
Back to top Go down
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:01 am

Too true, John. Nami is dead. I have a new person.
edit: and, for the record, he tilted a car. People do that in riots.
Just not by themselves.

Last edited by debtmaster on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultimate_cloud
Ninja
ultimate_cloud

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue3/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (3/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:10 am

I think many of these points are valid, and I hope everyone comments on their own characters to answer these questions. We know we need at least a little nerfing to keep this RP good, so why not nerf yourself, so we don't have to do it, and possible do something you hate, and ruin it for you?

To reply on what John mentioned about my character, Have you ever been in a strobe light? Imagine my slowing down time as something like that at this point in timel, but not all flashy, and stop motion like. It's slow enough to let me react to things in close quarters combat effectively, but I couldn't see a gunshot or something like that.

My flexibility is such that something like a car hitting me at a decent speed (35-ish), or some basic rubble like before falling on me probably won't break any bones, but I would still suffer from the nicks, and so forth. It's not such that it would offer much help when being hit by a metal pipe or something like that.

Finally, my reading of peoples intentions can certainly effect me negatively. If I were to be around a large group of people (Think cramped amusement park) I would basically have a mental breakdown trying to sort out everything being forced into my head.

Also, to clarify the ability, at this point I can get faint sense of people intentions by touching them indirectly, through clothing, or something similar. By a faint sense I mean things like weather or they plan to hurt or aid us, or are undecided.

Through direct skin to skin contact I get deeper impressions, things like their currents thoughts or plans and flashes of recent memories.

That is where I currently see my character. If anyone thinks I need to revise any of this in any way post it here, and I'll change things accordingly as long as they are within reason.
Back to top Go down
Ethanthecrazy
The Lord of Epic
Ethanthecrazy

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue4/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (4/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:41 am

I agree wholeheartedly. This Topic is going to be incredibly useful.

As for my character, at this point in the storyline, he simply takes damage.

I never said the he did not take damage from the rocket, I simply avoided the fact to prevent it from interrupting the the drama of the Roleplay. I see that that was a mistake, and I will amend that in the future, especially since it is a key point in the functionality of my character.

Basically, he is immune to things such as blood loss, which in all honesty, is the most common killer in battle. The body loses blood from injuries and shuts down. Simply put, his body will never "shut down", it has to be force-ably put down. Something like a beheading, he would eventually die from, but it would be a long, slow, painful death. He would not black out from lack of oxygen like a normal person would.

As for permanent damage, I intend to completely to ignore this. Because of the advancements in technology, magic, and biology, my character should be able to be restored fully in due time through whatever method can eventually be had within the storyline.
Back to top Go down
ClausTheMighty
Nanovamp
ClausTheMighty

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue10/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 am

What I have in my bag: Small Rodents, that hunk of rubber, rocks, twisted metal.

May i pick up stuff along the story?

Also my guy has limited of power and it took all he had to destroy that priest, so im out of the fight now.

If you guys want me to since my guy is op you could make me roll for certain hits and abilities, as in if i want to infect the priest i have a 1/2 or 1/3 chance of doing so and it will be up to you guys to decide whether or not i hit him.
Back to top Go down
The_entropic_engineer
Dwelf
The_entropic_engineer

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 10:08 am

Clause, yes you can pick stuff up along the way, it wouldn't make sense for you not to be able to. Ethan, with the permanent damage, you would keep it until such a time when you got healed (by tech, magic, or biology). Robert, great job. Nick, I guess it works.

Ok, now for my character.

My illusions are currently weak. Any physical contact and they simple fall apart unless it is them touching you (like cutting you with blades, they would fall apart if they grabbed you). They apply to the vision sense only, and you cannot hear, smell, feel, or taste them. The only way they do damage, is if they cut you, and you belive they did it just on visuals, meaning you wouldn't feel the pain unless you believed it hurt.

Now, what all can I make illusions of? I would like to be able to make illusions of stuff I can think of clear-cut in my mind. I could currently do that with myself, fire(it is simple, since fire follows a pattern), certain basic sensations such as a slight spinning sensation or your eyes closing.

I propose that I can make 3 illusions every 10 of my turns. I can create 2-3 things per illusions(copies of myself) since they are weak, and that they can apply to up to 5 people, but the chance of the illusion getting touched is increased the greater number of people that it affects.

I propose the illusions dissapate only for the people who touch them, and the people who see them get touched.

This is just a suggested plan, so please post replies on how you would like it refined.
Back to top Go down
WhiteSythle
Patron of Epic
WhiteSythle

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue10/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 pm

I happened to make an OP Character. Athen has been removing him and ive started a new one.

If you have any questions after reading the char sheet for Sveek, talk to me. Most things are qualified. Such as limits to his ammo and magical ability with the revolver.
Back to top Go down
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 11:45 am

I didn't really expand on my character's limitations. The weak healing spells can heal relatively moderate injuries, like light stab wounds, completely. Casting a fire or ice spell on somebody would be extremely painful but not very damaging; the stronger fire spell would cook them for a few moments. Shock is paralyzing.

As for the spell limit, I plan to allow ten spells in a short time. Stronger spells count as two, the blast thing I have counts as four. My character gets more and more tired as he casts more spells; the number of spells he can cast represents his own energy. I plan to let half of the limit regenerate between battles (that are spaced out) and to let it regenerate completely for long rests.

In the pack, he has a bunch of herb leaves stuffed into a pocket, about 7 or 8. He also has three deer hearts, a ceremonial knife, one eye, and a human hand.
Back to top Go down
Ethanthecrazy
The Lord of Epic
Ethanthecrazy

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 3:28 pm

If you want to implement some kind of number system, then do so. But, I do not want it to carry too far. This is designed to be free with some small structure that can shift if necessary. If you feel the need to place restrictions on your character then do so. Just remember to always play them weaker then you would expect. Imagine your character, then take them a level down from what you would expect, and that should be about the level we need to play at. Remember, this is a story, not a battle role play.

Tanner, you can pick stuff up, but may only hold three things at a time. They can not be much larger then a fist.

My character may seem overpowered at times, but I assure you that those are only for storyline points, and will be explained in due time. Your gonna have to trust me so far. Everyone is doing a great job, and I hope to see this through to it's conclusion, which fewer then half of our role plays reach. If it is successful, then I have a great idea for a sequel, and of course, anyone has permission to start their own in another thread.
Back to top Go down
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I'll do that then; I'll try to make it more general.
Back to top Go down
ultimate_cloud
Ninja
ultimate_cloud

Character sheet
Level :
Discussion of Overpowered Characters Left_bar_bleue3/10Discussion of Overpowered Characters Empty_bar_bleue  (3/10)

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Overpowered Characters   Discussion of Overpowered Characters EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 pm

We' have finally reached a point of leveling up, and I can't really decide what I want to see happen with my character. I know the things that I want, but not which I want now, so I'm going ot leave it up to you guys.

right now my character perceives time at about 1200 fps, roughly ten times faster than normal, however he can't react that ten times faster. He can think at that speed, but his body reacts at a normal pace.

So the first two options are to increase my perception of time by another five fold, to 6000 fps.