Lords of Epic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The discussion forum for the Lords of Epic

HomeRegisterLatest imagesParadigms and Whatnot EmptyLog inMediaDownloads

Paradigms and Whatnot

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rred
Person of Interest
Person of Interest
Rred

Character sheet
Level :
Paradigms and Whatnot Left_bar_bleue10/10Paradigms and Whatnot Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Paradigms and Whatnot Empty
PostSubject: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 pm

In this rp, the concept of 'paradigms' is an essential element. For those of you who do not know, 'paradigm' is Greek for 'world-view', and when I refer to it in the Engine, I am referring to the type of powers that a character has. For the less serious role-play on my other site, I had devised a set of 7 paradigms to fit in with the characters in it:

Mental---divides into personal and interpersonal
ex.such as control over the mind, or increased brain power, or having to do with nervous function.

Physical----having to do with the body
ex.such as increase in muscle mass, superspeed, superstrength, energy manipulation, etc.

Psychological---having to do with any concious/subconcious function of the brain. kind of fits into mental.
ex.illusions

Elemental---having control over any of the elements
ex.aerokinetics, aquakinetics, etc.

Reality---being able to bend reality, or having powers that deal with modern physics
ex.ignoring reality, seeing in multiple dimensions, changing the laws of physics, etc.

Shape-shifting---can fit in with physical, but this paradigm refers to specific shapeshifters i.e they shift into only one thing, or it does not necessarily have to be used for fighting
ex.transforming into an animal, shifting appearances

Summoning---using other-worldy/timely beings to fight for you.
ex.summoning a demon to fight your battle

I looked over the characters in this rp, and I think they can fit in well enough, but if you disagree, PLEASE tell me, as I am not perfect D:
If you should have any questions concerning this concept, please post them here, and if you have any proposals for an additional paradigm, let me know :D
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Geek_Alliance/index.php?act=idx
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :
Paradigms and Whatnot Left_bar_bleue2/10Paradigms and Whatnot Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)

PostSubject: Re: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 am

Could you clarify a bit on the difference between shapeshifting and the physical? From what I see now, shapeshifting looks like a limited part of physical, but can't think of any specific advantages it would have.
Back to top Go down
Rred
Person of Interest
Person of Interest
Rred

Character sheet
Level :
Paradigms and Whatnot Left_bar_bleue10/10Paradigms and Whatnot Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

PostSubject: Re: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Really, they're not all that different, but it's just a bit more specific. Such as if someone can only morph into, say, a cat, then they would be shape-shifting, because that's ALL they can do. However, if, while in cat form, they could alter their body even more, such as being a super fast cat, or a super strong cat, then they would physical, because then they exhibit both aspects of the paradigms. Uhm... does that make sense? I mean... it makes sense to me, but.. yeah. Lol.
Back to top Go down
debtmaster
Technosquid
debtmaster

Character sheet
Level :
Paradigms and Whatnot Left_bar_bleue2/10Paradigms and Whatnot Empty_bar_bleue  (2/10)

PostSubject: Re: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 pm

That may answer my question. If Physical and Shapeshifter paradigms overlap, is there any advantage to shapeshifting over Physical?

I guess an obvious advantage would be difficulty: while an aspiring young Physical user wouldn't be able to transform into an animal (right?) while a shapeshifter could.
Back to top Go down
Rred
Person of Interest
Person of Interest
Rred

Character sheet
Level :

PostSubject: Re: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 am

Right.
And as far as an advantage could go... not really. While a shape-shifter could morph into an animal, a physical would be possibly be able to alter muscle mass/whatever, and could match the shape-shifter. The only advantage I could think of would be the one you pointed out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paradigms and Whatnot   Paradigms and Whatnot Empty

Back to top Go down

Paradigms and Whatnot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lords of Epic :: Roleplaying :: The Graveyard :: The Engine-
Jump to: